- Name 3 things that are guaranteed to make you HAPPY any day of the year!
- Name ONE of the happiest moments of your life to date
BREAK-DOWN FROM SUNDAY’S MESSAGE
Read Eccles 2: 1 – 26:
There are two extremes that believers find themselves tending towards in trying to make sense of life in a fallen world:
A) EXTREME PLEASURE:
Solomon, King of Israel, made it his mission to pursue earthly pleasure.
He tried laughter, drinking, building houses, gardening, servants to attend to his needs, buying herds and flocks, amassing himself with gold and silver, and many more earthly pleasures. Solomon’s conclusion through all of this…
- Everything is meaningless and nothing is gained
- Pursuing your own desires will lead to a meaningless life
So when will we be happy?
B) EXTREME MORALITY:
Col 2:20 – 23 says that the goal of Christianity is not to become a moral person but rather that morality is a BY-PRODUCT of knowing Jesus. Many believers find themselves on the end of a list of do’s and don’ts in their Christian walk which in turn leaves them frustrated and exhausted…
- Man-made rules and commands have no value
So what will make us happy?
C) THE ANSWER TO JOY IS A PERSON, JESUS:
Some scriptures to consider:
Col 2:16 – 17
1 Thes 1:6
If you study the scriptures carefully, it is obvious that one of the trademarks of Jesus was the JOY that he carried… and this in turn is the testimony of believers across the world.
GOOD QUESTIONS TO GET THE DISCUSSION GOING THIS WEEK ARE: (please note that these are a guideline and don’t need to all be answered as it may be quite a long evening)
- Do I possess a heartfelt joy that comes from above and is not dictated to by circumstances, or do I live with the odd “happiness” fix when things go right or I get an increase etc.? Explain (if you feel comfortable)
- When do I know that my life is pleasing to God? (Heb 11:6)
- Is there anyone that if honest, struggles with joy?
MINISTRY – There may be a moment to pray for people that are struggling or overwhelmed by circumstance, that Jesus would anoint them with His JOY from the inside out!