Opening Question: How do you talk to God?
Heaven has unfortunately been seen as a place where after death we will be like ghosts & sing to Jesus on a cloud for all eternity. Fortunately the Bible shows us that Heaven is A LOT more exciting than this! The Bible tells us that we will be given a new body, will dance, eat, talk to one another, be satisfied, serve and even govern cities and judge angels! Heaven is described to us as a garden, a city and a kingdom.
Read Matt 6:9-13
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.”
1. When you think of Heaven what do imagine it to be like?
2. What do you think it means when Jesus says “let your Kingdom come as it is on earth as it is in Heaven…” Leader’s Guide: As described earlier, Heaven is compared to a Kingdom. A kingdom has a king and the king has reign over all areas of his kingdom. Therefore when we pray that God’s kingdom would come on a person’s life or situation, we are actually praying that the rulership and reign of Jesus would come over that person/situation that His kingdom would take over their lives/situation.
3. Why don’t you take your homegroup on a journey of prayer? Use the model in vs 9-13 to guide the group in prayer for 30 mins, focusing on vs 10 (see if you can fit it all in in 30 mins!!)
The Lord’s Prayer is a model to guide our prayers:
His Kingdom in our lives (vs 10)
– Family – wives/husbands/children/parents
– Church – unsaved/leaders/Holy Spirit to invade our meetings
– Work – for God to use you in the work/study place/ business to thrive