The Book of Judges is a fascinating set of stories about Israel in one of the darkest times in their history. One hand are stories of compromise and people living in defeat. On the other hand, there are stories of genuine faith that should inspire us to trust God for greater things. One of these stories is that of Caleb and his daughter Acsah.
The story of Caleb: Joshua 14:6-14
The story of his daughter, Acsah: Judges 1:12-15
- Why do you think Caleb was so eager for his daughter to marry a man of faith and courage?
- What can we learn from Acsah’s request of her dad, Judges 1:15?
(Note to leaders: Caleb’s first gift – land in the Negev – was in the desert, so her request for springs was in order for the land to be more fruitful. It was not based on selfishness but faith. It is a lesson to us to trust God for more. He is a willing father (as was Caleb) and wants to bless us abundantly and make us more fruitful.)
- What would be the top 2 things in this list that you would like to ask God for ‘springs of water’ or ‘fruitfulness’ in?
- Church involvement
- Time alone with God
- Emotional Stability
- Marriage/Romantic relationships
- Coping with stress
- Managing your time wisely