Write down a nickname (1 or more) you received at school/varsity and place it in a hat. Then let people draw 1 piece of paper from the hat and try and guess whose nickname they have drawn.
NB: Please remember that this ice-breaker won’t work in every group and that if someone does not want to participate they should not be forced.
BREAK-DOWN FROM SUNDAY’S MESSAGE
Read Matt 16 vs 13 – 18
A) Christ asks His disciples 2 Questions:
1. Who do people say I am?
- People thought Jesus was Elijah, Jeremiah or John the Baptizer.
- We learn from this that the world has many views of who Jesus is.
2. Who do you say I am?
- This questioned, aimed at Peter, is evidently more important to Christ than the previous question.
- Peter’s answer: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (vs 16 NIV) was a revelation from God that Peter received.
- We learn from this that Jesus is interested in the personal revelation we have of Him.
B) Christ’s Response to Peter’s revelation (vs 18):
1. “On this rock…”
- The “rock” being the revelation Peter had of who Jesus is.
2. “I will build my church…”
- Jesus is the primary builder, not us.
3. “And the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
- The overall story is that Christ is the Victor!
GOOD QUESTIONS TO GET THE DISCUSSION GOING THIS WEEK ARE:
- Who is Jesus to you? (This could open the door for people to share their testimonies)
- What is a revelation, like what Peter had received?
- How do we get to know Christ more personally?